“breakfast is the most important meal of the day”
“missing breakfast is bad for your health”
I know you’ve heard all of those sentences before..
I have definitely heard all of them before.
There was a time (for many years) where my day would start with a cup of instant coffee and my next ‘meal’ after the coffee would be lunch at 2pm!
All through my teenage years and going all the way in to my 20’s, this is how I would start my day. I’m sure people thought that it was my trick to staying so thin… maybe it was (unintentionally).
I was uneducated, miss informed or just didn’t care to know about being healthy and the right way to eat each day.
Things have changed a lot since then and now I never miss breakfast!
Here are some really important reasons why you should NEVER skip out on breakfast:
Those who skip breakfast are FOUR times more likely to become obese than those who eat breakfast. WOW! What a surprise that is..!! I mean, isn’t it that those who are obese MUST eat more that the average 3 meals per day, right? WRONG!! Starving your body can go either way, really under weight or overweight.
You’re more likely to crave sweet food and beverages like chocolate and soft drinks.
Breakfast is what gives us energy and keeps us going until lunch time. If an individual has gone to bed at 8pm and wakes at 7am, this is about 11 hours with out a meal. If they miss breakfast and keep going until lunch, this is around 16 hours without a meal. It’s no wonder so many people are addicted to caffeine to boost their energy levels.
What if you’re too busy for breakfast?
I definitely know about being too busy! However, there are so many easy and quick options that will leave you satisfied and bursting with energy!
1. Start your day with a big glass of warm lemon water. This kick starts your metabolism and helps detox your internal system.
2. Prepare a smoothie the night before and have it ready in a glass jar to take with you in the car.
3. Take some fruit in your bag. I’m not talking about 1 or 2 pieces of fruit. For it to be enough to keep you satisfied, you would need to eat until you are full.
4. Over-night oats are a great way to start your day and you don’t have to do much for preparation. It pretty much does what it’s suppose to while you’re sleeping! BONUS! In the morning, just add some toppings like fruit, coconut flakes and cinnamon.
5. Oatmeal is the perfect breakfast that doesn’t take a lot of time to prepare and will keep you satisfied for hours. You can cook it up using water and add your favourite fruit at the end. Change it up to make it more exciting!
Try this out for a few weeks and see if you have more energy during the day.